Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life by Twyla Tharp


There are practical tips in this book that that have helped me to stay focused. It also reinforced what I learned back when I attended the High School of Music And Art. Working artists don't wait for the muse to strike. They show up every day and practice their craft. There is this myth that an artist are born with talent. It is both flattering and dismissive. Yes it is nice to get the compliment of being labeled talented but at the same time it does not acknowledge all the years I spent learning & honing my craft in high school, college, classes, books and continuous practice. It is our passion & practice that fuels us day in and day out when accolades are not forthcoming. It is our routine, our 'Creative Habit' that defines us as artists.